Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oil Bubbles and Salty Eggs

Don't worry - I did not mix oil bubbles and salty eggs together and force my children to eat them!! Oil Bubbles is a science experiment and Salty Eggs is a cooking class!!

I got another easy and fun science experiment from http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/cauldronbubbles.html

You pour a bunch of oil into a cup of colored water.
Watch all the initial bubbles as the oil and water separate.
Then pour salt into the cup...
Watch as the heaviness of the salt pulls the oil down to the bottom of the cup
Then it actually looks like the salt is blowing bubbles as the oil rises to the top.


This is a picture of Eddie conducting his own science experiment...



Edison spilled some oil and was surprised that it made his paper towel wet. I explained that it soaked up the oil because the oil is a liquid and is wet.
He thought that was very cool! He quickly got more paper towels and continued his experiments.
He also found out that he could write in the spilled oil.

I made them write throughout the experiment and since I am beginning to push correct spelling of common words, I wrote the sentences on the white board for them to copy.



**********************************************************************************
COOKING CLASS...
Peeling a hard boiled egg is no easy feat! It takes practice!!

Edison is hard at work!



Simone is concentrating!



Andre's first egg was not very lucky... it was beaten and smashed. He took much more care in peeling off the shell of his second egg.



After the eggs were peeled, we experimented with the tast of salt. Everyone agreed that too much salt was BAD and that it makes you thirsty!

No comments:

Post a Comment