Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Science Experiment - mixed colors make new colors

For Edison's 6th Birthday we got him this science kit from Amazon
Primary Science Set
The science "tools" are big for little hands!  I have tried other science kits before but they had such small parts I ended up having to do the experiments.  With this one, I can let the kids explore on their own (which means I have a few extra minutes to clean up after their last mess)

I guided them through the actual experiment - mixed colors make new colors...

1. First we read the book White Rabbit's Color Book Product Details

2. The book is about a White Rabbit that finds three paint buckets - yellow, blue and red... The bunny gets in the diffenent paint and changes color.

3. I gave the kids white cotton balls to represent the bunny and the kids made picked a color and made it in their test tubes with water and food color.


4. As I read the book again, I would pause and have the kids do as the bunny did in the book, dipping the cotton ball into the colors.

5. When the experiment was over, I let the kids play with the water on their own.

6. They were then told that the table had to be perfectly cleaned or there would be no experiments tomorrow.  They did a good job cleaning but they used a WHOLE roll of paper towels!

Edison started the project - he made the "bunny" yellow

Andre was going to mix the yellow with red to make orange

Simone was going to mix the red "bunny" with blue to make purple

Elijah had to be included too - so he was given green water in a flask
which of course ended up EVERYWHERE

Our finished bunnies:)



No comments:

Post a Comment