Monday, May 14, 2012

Homegrown Herbs

I LOOOOOOVE LOOOOOOVE LOOOOVE fresh herbs! 

Last year I planted several types of herbs - rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil, lovage, oregano, mint - but I never really knew what to do with them other than smell them. 

Gardening is such a learning process!

This year I am truely learning how to cook with them.

Examples:
Basil = all pastas, egg dishes, & salads
Cilantro = chopped up and put right into the rice while its cooking

Basil and Cilantro

Lovage = (a celery type of smell/taste) put into the pot instead of celery to make vegetable stock


Mint = put leaves right into my ice-tea cup, and the kids like to chew them

Mint is very aggressive - it will take over an area!

I'm still working on new ways to use my herbs:)

Today I used my sisters dehydrator to dry oregano and rosemary and thyme... its sooooooooooooooooo much easier than I thought!


so - u pick some stems, put them in the dehydrator and turn it on!
Wow - it doesn't much easier!
Extra bonus- the house smells amazing



Then I had the kids pull the leaves off the stems and put them in baggies!

TADPOLE UPDATE:
They are getting bigger! I've decided to leave them in the same bucket for now because they are eating the algea growth off the sides of the bucket.

Cute little babies - huh



No comments:

Post a Comment